Don't forget to check out the Tips & FAQ section in the post!
These M&M Rice Krispie treats are the perfect sweet treat with a classic gooey rice crispy taste plus the chocolate taste of M&Ms.
Upgrade the classic Rice Krispie treats with the added goodness of M&Ms. These treats combine marshmallows, Rice Krispies cereal and M&Ms to make a crunchy, chewy and sweet dessert that everyone will love.
Table of Contents:
These rice crispy treats with M&Ms are super easy to make and you can whip them up in no time at all and will quickly become a favorite.
They’re perfect for kids and adults, parties, potlucks, or any other time you want an easy and delicious treat that looks great too.
Now let’s talk about just some of the ingredients in these M&M rice crispy treats. (The printable list of all ingredients are in the printable recipe card below.)
Mini marshmallows: These seem to be easier to melt and you’ll just need one bag of these to make these treats. This is what will make everything stick together and become gooey deliciousness.
Butter: You’ll need butter because it adds a really nice flavor to the melted marshmallows.
Vanilla: Vanilla extract makes everything better and it’ll just add extra goodness to these treats.
Rice Krispies cereal: Rice cereal is what makes these treats chewy and you’ll need 6 cups.
M&Ms: This is the secret ingredient in these treats. I just adds a little extra crunch and some added chocolate flavor.
(Make sure to check out the FAQ section below in this post for ingredient and substitution questions.)
How to make these treats:
Let’s talk about how to make these M&M Rice Krispie treats. (The printable instructions are in the recipe card below.)
Spray a 13×9 inch baking dish with non-stick spray and set it to the side.
Now add 6 cups of rice cereal to a very large bowl and set aside.
Next, in a large saucepan, add the butter and heat on medium until melted.
After the butter has melted, add the marshmallows and melt. Stir frequently while everything is melting.
Once everything is melted, remove the pan from the heat and add the vanilla extract. Stir well.
Add the marshmallow mixture to the bowl that contains the rice cereal and mix everything well with a large spoon or a silicone spatula. You may need to switch to mixing with clean hands as it gets a little hard to mix with a spoon.
Wait for a couple of minutes, then add in about 2/3 of the M&Ms and mix well with a spoon, silicone spatula, or your clean hands.
Spread the mixture into the sprayed 13×9 inch pan.
Sprinkle the top of the Rice Krispie treats with the last 1/3 of the M&Ms and push them down a little into the treats.
Once cooled, cut into squares and serve.
(Remember that the instructions will also be in the printable recipe card below.)
M&M Rice Krispie Treats
- 1 (10 ounce) bag mini marshmallows
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 cups Rice Krispies cereal
- 1 (12 ounce) bag M&Ms
- Spray a 13×9 inch baking dish with non-stick spray and set aside.
- Add 6 cups of rice cereal to a very large bowl.
- In a large saucepan, add the butter and heat on medium until melted.
- After the butter has melted, add the marshmallows and melt. Stir frequently.
- Once melted, remove the pan from the heat and mix in the vanilla extract.
- Add the marshmallow mixture to the bowl with the rice cereal and mix well with a large spoon or a silicone spatula. It helps to spray the spatula with non-stick cooking spray. You may need to use clean hands to mix at some point.
- Wait a couple of minutes, then add 2/3 of the M&Ms and mix well with a spoon, silicone spatula, or clean hands.
- Spread the mixture into the sprayed 13×9 inch pan.
- Sprinkle the top of the Rice Krispie treats with the last 1/3 of the M&Ms and push them into the treats.
- Once cooled, cut into squares and serve.
How to Share
I’d love for you to share this recipe link or tag it, but please do not share screenshots or copy/paste the recipe to social media as the content and photographs are copyright protected and we (bloggers) work really hard on our content. Sharing the link, tagging us on socials and pinning it is super appreciated though!
Tips & FAQs:
Yes, just make sure you’re using the same amount.
It doesn’t matter. You can use any butter you have, just not margarine as margarine just isn’t real butter.
No, you can omit it if you don’t have any.
Yes, you can use mini M&Ms instead of full-size M&Ms
Yes, you can use any flavor M&Ms you like.
Either in the 13×9 inch baking dish and cover with plastic wrap, or place squares into an airtight container and store at room temperature. These treats are best eaten within 2-3 days.
Serve and eat these treats at room temperature.
Supplies used for this recipe:
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.