This easy 3 ingredient apple cake is super quick to make, is so moist and perfect for fall or the holidays.
With just 3 simple ingredients, you’ll make a delicious, moist apple cake that tastes like you made it from scratch. This apple cake is made with a cake mix, which is why it’s so quick and easy to make.
Don’t worry though, the final cake does NOT taste like a box cake. You’d think that with only using a few ingredients, it wouldn’t come out, but surprisingly, it works perfectly.
Table of Contents:
Now, if you want to go the extra mile, you can add a glaze to this cake. That’ll take you over the 3 ingredients, but I think it really adds to the cake.
Of course, it’s totally optional though and I give two options for the glaze in the recipe card below.
Basically, if you want to make the absolute best apple cake the easy way, without any fancy ingredients or complicated instructions, then this homemade apple cake recipe is the one to try.
This cake can be served cold, room temperature or warm and it’s still delicious and moist.
Now let’s talk a little about just some of the ingredients that are in this easy apple cake. (The printable list of all ingredients are in the recipe card below.)
Cake mix: This apple cake uses a cake mix. A spice cake is best, but if you can’t find one of those, you can use a yellow cake mix instead and add in some spices.
If you use a spice cake, the cake will only be 3 ingredients, but if you use a yellow cake mix, you’ll have to add the spices. The spices are really important though as it gives the cake a lot of flavor.
Apple pie filling: You’ll want to get a 21-ounce can of apple pie filling. Try to get the regular pie filling as the natural type doesn’t work as well.
Eggs: This recipe calls for 3 eggs and it’s important to add them as it’s what holds everything together and helps it bake up.
Optional spices: You’ll only need the spices if you don’t have a spice cake mix and are using a yellow cake mix instead.
Optional glaze: There are two options for the glaze if you’d like to add one. Both options are listed in the recipe card below.
(Make sure to check out the FAQ section below in this post for ingredient substitution questions.)
How to Make this Cake:
Let’s talk a little about how to make this insanely easy apple bundt cake. (The printable instructions are in the recipe card below.)
Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F and grease and flour a 9-10 inch bundt pan really well.
In a large bowl, add all the cake ingredients and mix for about 30 seconds with an electric mixer. Make sure to scrape down the sides and the bottom of the bowl, then mix again for about 1 minute. The batter will be a little thick at this point.
Add the batter to the prepared pan and bake for approximately 45-50 minutes.
Set the baked cake on a wire rack, still inside the pan, for about 30 minutes.
Then you’ll want to take the cake out of the pan and let it cool completely on a wire rack before serving or adding a glaze.
This is optional, but if you want to add a glaze, there are two options in the recipe card. One that is a scratch glaze recipe and one that is super quick to make, but still very tasty.
Once the optional glaze is made, add it to the cooled cake and serve.
Serve this cake at room temperature or warmed up. You can also add some whipped cream or even ice cream and serve. So yummy.
Tips & FAQs:
Yes. Sometimes it’s hard to find spice cake mix, so if you can’t find it, then just use a yellow cake mix. You’ll also want to add the spices listed in the recipe card though to get the full flavor.
You don’t have to, but you can if you want. I didn’t cut them up and it worked out fine.
No. It’s totally optional and the cake is still very good even if you don’t add a glaze.
This cake is done baking when a toothpick inserted into the center comes out with a few moist crumbs on it or clean, but no raw batter.
I have not tried to freeze this cake, but I think it should work. If you do want to freeze it, make sure to let the baked cake cool completely, then wrap in plastic wrap and foil and place in the freezer for up to a month.
To thaw, place the wrapped cake on the counter at room temperature and let thaw completely, then remove the wrapping. Once defrosted, you can add a glaze if you want.
This cake should be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator and can last up to about 5 days.
I have not tested this recipe out as cupcakes or as a layer cake. If you want to try making it into cupcakes, try filling 2 cupcake pans (24 cupcakes) with cupcake liners and fill with batter about 2/3 of the way full. Bake at 350 degrees F and start checking for doneness at around 15 minutes although you may need to bake a little longer.
To try making it into a layer cake, pour the batter into two 8-inch round cake pans (that are 2 inches deep) and bake at 325 degrees F. Start checking for doneness at around 25 minutes although it may take a little longer to bake. The cake layers are done when a toothpick inserted into the middle of each layer comes out with a few moist crumbs on it or clean, but no raw batter.
This cake is best served at room temperature or warm. If cold, pop a slice into the microwave to warm it up a bit. You can even add whipped cream or ice cream to warm slices of cake.
You could add cranberries, raisins or even white chocolate chips to the cake batter and bake as directed.
Bake this cake any time you want a quick and delicious apple cake. It’s really good for fall and the holidays.
Supplies used for this recipe:
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Easy 3 Ingredient Apple Cake (a Bundt Cake)
For the cake:
- 1 (15.25 ounce) box spice cake mix (If using a yellow cake mix instead, add the spices below.)
- 1 (21 ounce) can apple pie filling (Use regular pie filling, not the natural type)
- 3 large eggs
- Optional if using the yellow cake mix: 1 ½ teaspoon cinnamon, ¼ teaspoon nutmeg, ¼ teaspoon ginger
For the optional glaze: (For an even easier option, see notes below.)
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, room temperature (1/2 stick)
- 4 oz cream cheese, room temperature (1/2 block)
- 2 cups confectioner’s sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk or cream (can use up to 3 tablespoons)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the cake:
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
- Grease and flour a 9-10 inch bundt pan very well.
- In a large bowl, add all the cake ingredients and mix for about 30 seconds with an electric mixer. Scrape down the sides and the bottom of the bowl, then mix again for about 1 minute. Batter will be a little thick.
- Add the batter to the prepared pan and bake for approximately 45-50 minutes. The cake is done baking when a toothpick inserted in the cake comes out with a few moist crumbs on it or clean, but no raw batter.
- Set the baked cake on a wire rack, still inside the pan, for about 30 minutes. Then turn the cake out of the pan and let cool completely on a wire rack.
- Let the cake cool before adding the optional glaze.
For the glaze: (For an easier option, see notes below.)
- In a mixing bowl, mix the butter and cream cheese well with an electric mixer on medium to medium-high speed.
- Add the confectioner’s sugar, vanilla and two tablespoons of milk. Mix well.
- If the glaze is too thick, add in more milk by the teaspoonful. If it's too thin, it will run off the cake and pool around the bottom, so only add additional milk by the teaspoonful.
- Once desired consistency is reached and the cake is cooled, spoon on the glaze, or use a piping bag or squeeze bottle to drizzle it on.
How to Share
I’d love for you to share this recipe link or tag it, but please do not share screenshots or copy/paste the recipe to social media as the content and photographs are copyright protected and we (bloggers) work really hard on our content. Sharing the link, tagging us on socials and pinning it is super appreciated though!